The ultimate decision regarding team participation will reside with the SA BEST Board of Directors.
Team sign-up policy:
- Teams in "good-standing" that participated in the competition during the previous year will have a slot reserved until May 1. "Good-standing" is determined primarily by returning the return-kit in good condition by the agreed-upon date and team behavior during the BEST events. (Teams that received a kit but did not complete a robot and participate on game day are not considered to be in good-standing with SA BEST.)
- After May 1, sign-up is on a first-come basis.
- All teams must provide proper and complete contact information at the BEST Registry site to participate. Teams must provide a valid e-mail address. New teams must provide evidence that the school supports the participation. An e-mail to the SABEST contact from a school administrator is fine.
- Excess teams (beyond the planned team count) will be placed on a waiting list. Teams from the waiting list will be used in the event that an accepted team fails to attend kick-off.
- All teams must be affiliated with a school. A student attending a school with a BEST team must participate on that school's team.
- Home school teams are allowed but must be able to demonstrate a program recognized by the state of Texas. Multiple home school teams in the same region/city will be considered on a case-by-case basis; teams must be able to demonstrate the need for more than one team in any specific area.
- Any team should be prepared to demonstrate:
- The number of adults (mentors) and students anticipated.
- Availability of a shop and/or other resources needed for carrying out the project.
- An understanding of the BEST approach.
The SA BEST home region includes Bexar County and the counties immediately surrounding Bexar County: Bandera, Medina, Atascosa, Wilson, Guadalupe, Comal, and Kendall Counties. Visiting teams from outside these counties are welcome to participate with the SA BEST when:
- There is space available at SA BEST.
- There is not another BEST hub servicing the team's location, or the appropriate hub does not have sufficient space.
- SA BEST is the nearest or most convenient hub to the team location.